You are here
Frequently Asked Questions
About the Art of Living Health and Education Trust
Is AOLHET part of the Art of Living Foundation?
- AOLHET and the Art of Living are separate organizations that partner on some issues. AOLHET is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization incorporated in the United States in 2008. Its mission is to promote and support improved education and healthcare in the US and throughout the world, and to increase public understanding of the needs of the poor for better education and healthcare. Founded in 1981, the Art of Living Foundation is an educational and humanitarian organization that fosters stress-management and service initiatives. Both organizations were founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
Who is Sri Sri Ravi Shankar? Is he an active board member?
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is not a board member, but he is the inspiration for the Art of Living Health and Education Trust.
- A leading figure in human development and social transformation, Sri Sri is a multifaceted social activist whose initiatives include conflict resolution, disaster and trauma relief, prisoner rehabilitation programs, youth leadership, women’s empowerment, campaigns against female feticide and child labor, and universal education. He is also working in Kashmir and Sri Lanka to further dialogue between opposing parties to resolve conflicts peacefully.
- Sri Sri travels to more than 40 countries a year to share his message that all of the great spiritual traditions share common goals and values. His teachings of love, practical wisdom and service promote harmony among people, and encourage individuals to follow their chosen spiritual path while respecting the paths of others.
What projects does the Trust support?
- As AOLHET’s first flagship program, we are launching a capital campaign to build Sri Sri University (SSU) in Orissa, India. We envision SSU as a world-class university featuring rigorous academic studies with an emphasis on public service. The University represents a fresh approach to a world-class academic (undergraduate and graduate) education, to provide not just India but the world with a new generation of leaders - from captains of industry to public servants to physicians to attorneys - who have received a robust education and exposure to tools focused on enabling students to appreciate and elevate their work to the everyday promotion of human dignity.
- The AOL Health and Education Trust promotes healthcare and education across the U.S. and worldwide through awareness-raising campaigns on values-based education. Sri Sri University is our first major project, with many future initiatives to follow.
Why should I donate to Sri Sri University?
- SSU will set the standard for world-class, human values-based education in developing countries.
- SSU’s human values-based curriculum will combine academic excellence and real-world professional skills with a strong emphasis on ethics and public service.
- SSU’s student body will represent an international community of scholars, emerging leaders and budding entrepreneurs.
- SSU’s diverse curriculum is being developed by top minds from across the World.
- SSU will provide a lasting testament to quality education and opportunities for students from developed and developing countries to learn, lead, and serve.
What is special about SSU?
- SSU will instill strong values, ethics and principles in its graduates, as well as a high spiritual quotient.
- SSU will pursue a culture of excellence, particularly through the establishment of various Centers of Excellence that will address the needs of specific fields of study.
- In addition to being a center of higher learning, SSU will contribute to socio-economic development through social outreach programs, governance, social and organizational leadership, job creation, etc.
How will SSU benefit society?
- SSU will provide a tremendous boost to tertiary education, increase the supply of skilled manpower, create new infrastructure, generate employment, and provide socially relevant research & development.
As a student, what are the benefits of studying at SSU?
- Benefits of attending include SSU's world-class faculty and educational facilities, holistic development, a diverse peer group, research opportunities, better placement opportunities, and vocational and skill-based education.
What is the capital campaign goal?
- $100 million (USD) for the campus construction, the structure and the endowment.
How will the university incorporate Art of Living values and teachings?
- SSU will not only sow the seeds of inclusive spiritual values amonthe active participants in the University, but will invite other stakeholders and society at large to bask in the spiritual sunshine. This would herald the transformation from a set of aggressive and divisive values to a set of inclusive universal values.
- In particular, students will be offered the college-aged version of the Art of Living (YES!+) course and the DSN course, and multiple opportunities for leadership, service, and teacher training will be offered on campus.
Where can I find further information on SSU, including student applications, faculty applications, and the
progress of construction?
- Please visit the University’s main website at www.srisriuniversity.edu.in
- You can also find Sri Sri University on Facebook, Facebook Causes and Twitter.
Can international students apply?
- Yes. Students of all nationalities, ethnicities and religions are welcome to apply.
When will the campus be ready?
- Classes will start as scheduled in July 2012, prior to the completion of campus construction. We currently plan for students to use a rented facility in Bhubaneswar for the first semester (typical for a new university).
How can I review your project plan/ receive additional information?
- Please inquire about our business plan, which details the financial projections and plans for the university.
Where can I find information on acquiring a Visa?
Please visit the following resources:
- On Indian Visa requirements: https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/guidelines
- On Indian Student Visas: https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/consular-fees?id=7
How will my donation be used?
- Funds will be used for campus construction (infrastructure and buildings) and the initial phases of university development (including faculty hiring, etc.). Once the university is fully operational, it will be self-sustaining.
- As a small non-profit with limited staff, AOLHET incurs very few administration and overhead costs. We guarantee the proper and expeditious use of your donation.
How can I donate?
- Donations by credit card can be made online at www.aolhet.org/donate
- Donations by check payable to “AOLHET” can be mailed to:
The Art of Living Health and Education Trust
2401 15th St, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Is my donation tax-deductible?
- Yes, if you are a U.S. taxpayer your donation is deductible to the extent allowed by law. The Art of Living Health and Education Trust is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- All donors will receive a tax donation receipt via U.S. mail.
Can I set up a monthly donation?
- Yes, you can set up monthly donations online at www.aolhet.org/donate. Or, send us a pledge and fulfill your monthly donations by check.
How will my contribution be recognized?
- Donors at certain levels receive public recognition. Opportunities include the inclusion of the donor’s name on the Wall of Gratitude at the University and having a building or academic program named in his or her honor.
- Donors can also choose for their gift to be recognized in the name of a loved one.
What if I want to remain anonymous?
- Please request anonymity at the time of your donation and we will be happy to honor your wish.
What about in-kind support?
- In-kind donations (i.e. computers, textbooks or construction supplies) are accepted on a case-by-case basis. Certain minimum quantities generally apply.
Please direct questions to:
Lead Development Coordinator
- You can also reach us at email@example.com or (202) 370-6985.
- For more information about our Trustees and Officers please visit: http://aolhet.org/about-us
How do I contact Sri Sri University?